Thursday, July 15, 2010

Achilles update - more tortoise than hare


You might remember the children's fable about the Tortoise and the Hare.

The story concerns a hare who ridicules a slow-moving tortoise and is challenged by him to a race. The hare soon leaves the tortoise behind and, confident of winning, decides to take a nap midway through the course. When he awakes, however, he finds that his competitor, crawling slowly but steadily, has arrived before him. The moral of the story could be that slow and steady is more effective in the long run.

I'm taking the tortoise approach with my heel, and basically there's not a lot to report on it. Just slow and steady progress, and I'm really just biding my time until I get out of the CAM walker boot in 2 weeks and 1 day...yes, I'm counting every hour...

Since the last update I've recovered from the "man cold" I had, started applying Vitamin E oil to the scar and started taking fish oil capsules and Nurofen tablets, these last two things to address the inflammation in the heel. I've never taken fish oil before and not sure of the side effects, but geez, I've never farted so much in my life since I started on them!!!

The scar seems to have recovered well although in the last couple of days the scar area has kind of bunched up. It's not sore but there is a whole lot of scar tissue building up.

I have a weekly appointment with my ace physio, Rosie, who works her fingers into my heel, scar, foot and more to loosen it all up. There's no pain from it in the area, and over time the swelling will come down. We have some good chats - she's a triathlete and we swim in the same squad so there's plenty to talk about.

The next milestone is to get out of the boot, when I can start to do some gym exercises and slowly get into walking. I've already joined a gym to start some exercises - plus swimming regularly - but I'm a bit limited in what I can do. These last couple of weeks in the boot are taking forever...can't wait to get out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment