Monday, July 9, 2012

Gold Coast Marathon 2012

Occasionally I get asked how many marathons I’ve run, and the answer is often a surprise (ie, low) since up until recently I’d run just 8 marathons (excluding IMs) which has included 5 x Great Ocean Rd, 2 x Gold Coast and 1 x Melbourne. Of those 8, only 3 were marathons where I set out with the intention of running fast and hard...the others (at Gt Ocean Rd) were mainly just good training runs.

Last weekend (1st July) I lined up for marathon number nine, once again at Gold Coast, with the clear goal of striving for my best ever run – a PB at least, and if things went amazingly well then I’d chase a time that I could proudly hang my hat on, and hopefully join an exclusive group of people who’ve run sub-2:30hr for marathon. This has been a dream which has inspired me for years, and yet for the last 4 years I’ve sabotaged my marathon dream with injury, which in turn has motivated the dream even more. Sub-2:30 is my 4 minute mile...a physical and mental barrier of equal parts, and the thought of actually achieving it was lifted me, however unreasonable it might be.

However, each of these goals – PB and/or sub-2:30 – were a very big ask, because since I ran my PB of 2:32:10hr in 2006, I’m 6 years older (42 yo) and only 2 years post Achilles surgery. This second point could have made or broken my running career, and history shows that not everyone who has such an enforced break from running makes it back to a similar level than before...but I was hoping for that and more.

My recent history of entering and not even starting marathons has haunted me, but maybe the omens would be kind this year...to at least have a go at running to a level that in one moment seems achievable, and in another seems almost impossible. I just wanted the chance to train for and run, no, race a marathon to see what I was made of. It would be a hero or zero strategy...either I would pull it off, or it would fail and I’d come home rather worse for wear, and with a corresponding time.

Training had gone well, and my recent 15km road race indicated I was in good form, but a marathon is a different beast. My immediate lead-up was also rather unusual since it included the birth of our first kid, Edward, just 9 days before the marathon, and having him home 5 days before introduced a life that bore little resemblance to what it was before...interrupted sleep, and more. My blessing was in the shape of my lovely wife who gave me two “nights off” from getting up on Thursday and Friday...these helped no end in putting some spring and zip into my previously weary body.

The other effect of Edward’s arrival was the distraction it gave me, to not obsess about the race coming up like I might otherwise have done. I knew it was just days away, and meant an enormous amount to me, but it was still in third place behind Edward and Ms A. This was a welcome scenario, since analysis paralysis can cripple a good race attempt.

I arrived on the Gold Coast early on Saturday afternoon, and after collecting my race number was picked up by my younger brother, Sam, who was also racing, plus mum & dad, who were there with Sam’s wife and 2 kids to support us...it’s amazing to have actual family support at an “away” race, which happens so very rarely. Sam’s running form had improved out of sight since his debut 2:56 in Melbourne last October, and being free of injury he had trained well and looking to run sub-2:40 – we would be quite a strong family team!!

The weather forecast was looking fantastic, and a far cry from the previous week of wind and rain...the promise of usually good conditions is a major drawcard for GC marathon, and it was delivering in spades. It was now, actually being at race central, that I was getting really excited by the day ahead.

Race morning started at 5am for some breakfast, ahead of the 7:20am start, and provided a good chance to relax and think of the day ahead. With some favourite tunes playing on my iPod, the realisation that I was about to line up in attempt at a lifetime goal, so many years after my last marathon, hit as a mix of excitement, anxiety, nerves and some raw emotion. What would unfold in a few hours time?...I just knew that I was feeling good and ready to give it my best shot.

Sam and I set off for the start at 6:45am, using the 2.5km jog over as warm-up, joined by other runners also heading across the Broadwater bridge to the start / finish area. The atmosphere was palpable, with the half marathon already underway and 5000+ runners readying themselves for the full marathon, plus supporters and more...pre start is a unique part of any big race. We both had preferred starts meaning we could join the field right at the front, enjoying some space to move around. This also let us mix with the elite athletes, including a swag of African (Kenya & Ethiopia) runners, some Japanese, other internationals, plus a range of Australian runners...many of whom I recognised as being very much better than me. Looking around I wondered if I’d even get in the top-30...but a marathon is a long way to sort out the field, and with a quick good luck to Sam we were in the stater’s hands as the gun went to set us off.

The first 1km+ is a straight line ahead of us and allowed the field to sort itself out and find space...although the thousands behind us were perhaps not so freely spaced out. The 1km mark would be the first indicator of pace, which I wanted to keep at 3:34 min/km (17:50min per 5km), which I hit almost spot on in 3:33. Already I could see a group forming at about my pace but my 2km (7:06) it had spread out a little and I was surrounded by several others, including 3-4 women.

I felt fantastic, almost like jogging, as I kept a close watch on my pace (3km in 10:40) and hoped this would continue, leading a small group. But in reaching 5km in 17:53min I was a little shocked – and surprised – to have slipped a few seconds off target pace, which was minor but I also knew I had to keep right on it or my goal would slip away out of reach. So I picked up my pace a fraction to get back on pace, and in doing so pulled up to a group that was 20-30m ahead, and eased past them and in doing so picked up an elite Japanese women who used me to pace off for a few km, but by 6-7km mark I was on my own. It was about this time I had the first of my gels, one every 25min, which worked well throughout the race.

My next few km were in the 3:33 min/km range, which was good in that it pulled me back right on pace by 10km (17:46min – 35:39min), and I was feeling good. I held this was comfortably further on to the turnaround at 15.6km, despite being all alone, but the fresh, lightness in my legs was going...as I expected it would by this time, passing 15km in 53:28min (17:48min). We were now on the return leg back towards the start / finish area, and away from the crowds gathered at the turn point. Sam & I crossed paths, with him looking good and nicely in with some other runners...things were looking pretty good for each of us.

The next 5km section turned out to be the section of truth, and the stretch that really told whether my goal was realistic or not. I was running well, and thinking I was on for a good day let my ego get a little ahead of me and my pace through a few of the kms got a slightly faster, not by much, but enough that it was noticeable. A couple of 3:30-31 min/kms crept in, and noting that I eased off so as not to vary too much from goal...but it was telling. If my goal was realistic this marginal pace increase for that short distance would have passed like a blink, but it didn’t. I noticed a very subtle decay of my form and freshness and although this was my fastest 5km split (17:41min) I wasn’t quite so positive about what was ahead.

Nevertheless, marathons are not easy and I also felt this could be where the hard work really started and I was ready for it...but things were on a knife edge. By this stage I’d been running alone for about 16km, and not minding it, with a couple of runners ahead me who were coming back towards me. Also along this stretch, while running back against the field of runners still heading out their mass was so large (albeit slow moving) as to create a slight headwind...which played with my mind more than my progress.

I reached half way in 75:06min, a full 30sec faster than in my PB run 6 years earlier, and 9sec under an even pace of 3:34 min/km, so on paper it looked pretty good but the reality was heading in another direction. My pace was slowing with km splits trending into 3:36-38 min/km range, and my legs tiring...my PB dream was not looking good. 20-25km was covered in 18:07min, the slowest so far, and slowing further...although I had passed a few people in that section. My mind was doing maths to thinking through what I would need to sustain for various finish times, but my legs were on a different plan and my gut instinct was sending warning signals for how bad this might get. I passed a couple of friends at the 29km mark and gave a thumbs down signal...no point dressing it up.

The 30km mark is in the middle of the bridge, which itself is a slight hill and really broke me. That 5km was 18:37min, still respectable, but the writing was on the wall. A little further on mum, dad, sister-in-law Kate and kids Tom & Ollie were there giving a great cheer, but I just wanted to slow down for a break to get myself together again...physically and mentally. That came at the next aid station at 31km where I slowed right down to grab two cups of sports drink and water – a very small respite but very welcome. As I did so 4 people went right past me – 2 who I’d just passed, and 2 others including a women running into 2nd place. Damm them!!!

The 32km mark is right beside the finish area, from where we ran 5km away again in the opposite direction from where we’d come, before the final turn and back to home. I was struggling and really worried how bad it might get...I feared I would be reduced to a run-walk, not to mention having Sam pass me!!! But fortunately it didn’t get any worse than just feeling shot to pieces, and to my surprise my pace stabilised at around 4 min/km...in most cases this a comfortable training pace, but not what I was thinking the marathon would come to. But it had and I just had to keep going regardless.

The final turn around point seemed to take forever to reach, and with just a handful of spectators to cheer it was back down the road to the finish...finally. As soon as we turned I was looking for Sam, in part to see how he was running and in part to see if he was likely to catch me...brotherly love is not match for competitiveness in a race!!! He was a little way back and also had a pained look on his face... it looked like he would miss his goal time, also, but I was safe from being passed!!

The last 5km was very arduous and trying. 30-35km took 19:46min and I was just holding onto the same pace from 35-40km. The route detoured along the coast so there were no runners coming towards us, which made it quite lonely, to really dwell in your own situation. Two people passed me in this section – I had no idea what place I was in – but we were otherwise quite spaced out, and barely getting any closer to the finish area. 40km passed after a 20:00min split – the slowest of the day – and I pushed on.

After the loneliness of where we had just run, the last km is great, down the Gold Coast Hwy in a straight line with the side of the road lined with people, some in groups under club or team tents, and others on their own. The groups gave a great cheers, and it is fantastic to be in touching distance of the finish, which was down a side road, around three corners and then a fantastic finish chute lined with grandstands, carpet, announcers calling you in and more...it was all a finish line should be. Apparently mum, dad, Kate, Tom & Ollie were there also, to make it even better, but I completely missed them.

I played it up the crowd at the finish, not knowing when I would next run – or finish – a marathon, and crossed the line in 2:36:29hr for 19th overall (17th male). It was good to stop, as my legs were very stiff and tired. I was handed a drink and kept standing around waiting for Sam, seeing 2:40 tick past, with another 2:12min until he also crossed the line for a huge, 14min PB. The story of each of our race was similar...fading in the second half. But as they say, better to have tried for a great time and fail, than not try at all. I wasn’t ready to line up for another marathon for quite a while.

We slowly made our way to meet the family and spent some time at a great little water park for kids, soaking our legs in the water and enjoying some sun which was brightly shining by then. It was so nice to hang out with them for a while before we slowly walked back to the apartments...my toes were the sorest part, having been pounded in my shoes. The rest of the afternoon was relaxing, with a good feast of pizza that night capping off the day.

In the light of day the next morning I pondered as I slowly walked about, stewing over the run. I was happy to accept that I’m not a sub-2:30 marathon runners – if it was ever going to happen, this race would be it. I’d put it out there but wasn’t up to achieving it, and no regrets for trying. However I did think that my recent form is better than my finish time would suggest, by 2-3 mins, if I’d run a little more conservatively early on - I rolled the dice for a fantastic time, but also missed a really good time. 2:36 is a good time, but going into the day sub-2:35 was only my plan B time, and I’d missed even that. Being my own hardest critic, it was burning me that I really think I could have run faster, albeit probably not a PB.
So I am thinking I want to run another marathon soon, to capitalise on my good fitness and form, and post a really good time which I feel will reflect my current standing, before the decline of age increases too much. It’s a little like a punch-drunk boxer going back into the ring for one last bout, but I hope to be able to write another chapter of my running with a fitting ending. In the short term it is time be dad for a while and see what that brings. My dear wife has been a great support, and it will good to involve Eddie in life as he grows...and maybe cheer his dad on sometime in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Watching you and the other elite runners pass as you made your way back from the first turning point was inspirational.

    My time was far from elite at 5:00:15 but now I have something to beat, although not for a while!

    I made the mistake of a toilet stop at 22km, something I have never done before in a race. After that couldn't find my rhythm and it was run/walk the rest of the way which was disappointing.

    Looking forward to reading the next chapter on your journey to a sub 2:30 marathon.

    ReplyDelete