Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tough love for Achy-Lee

What does it say when you can count back through the operations you've had to various body parts?

My very first operation was for a broken finger during gymnastics training in when I was 10 yo (nearly lost the finger, and it's still a little out of shape). Then it was a broken elbow needing pins after being knocked off my bike, plus two more operations on my left heel, with the most recent operation being for burst appendix on the opening day of the Sydney Olympics back in 2000 - the opening ceremony looked amaaazing through the haze of post general anaesthetic dopiness. Maybe it's a "boy" thing, but I'm quite proud of the scars I've earned!!

Now I'm booked in for another operation, this time on my left Achilles tendon, which I really hope goes well!!! Since it's going to be quite a journey back to normal, I've decided I need to give a name to the problem area...so please meet Achy-Lee. He's going to be staying for a while.

Today I visited an orthopaedic surgeon, Mr. Mark Blackney. I wondered why he's just "Mr" rather than "Dr"...maybe he's transcended beyond just being a doctor. At the very least, he has a team of people who do the small tasks in support of him sweeping into the appointment room for a few precious minutes of consultation with our parting words being "see you in theatre" (operating theatre, that is...his stage!!).

Before meeting Mr Blackney I was ushered in by a fellow orthopaedic surgeon, David, who's qualified and doing a year of "work experience" (kind of) before hanging up his own shingle and opening practice. He is a really nice guy, and asked me about the background to the injury, the symptoms, treatment, etc, and referred to my MRI scans to cross-reference with what these images were showing. He told about his sporting endeavours, including a finish in the 2006 Bussleton Ironman, and running the Paris marathon. I think he was a little in awe that I got my direct entry into the New York marathon via qualifying time...later describing me to Mr. Blackney as an "elite" runner. Yeah, I liked David!!

My referring doctor, Karen Holzer, asked to speak with Mr. Blackney while I was there and during the delay in actually getting through to her, Mr. Blackney (let's call him Mark from now on) saw a few issues and described some possible options to address them that weren't too invasive. This would mean a quicker return to action, but ultimately might not address the root cause of this and possibly future issues.

Then Karen called back, had a quick chat with Mark during which she explained the MRI report from the radiographer and some thoughts about her vision of taking a long-term view to correction. I think it was very constructive call since as soon as Mark put the phone down the tack had changed to being an operation to do a 'renovation' (my term) rather than just running repairs (my term again...pun intended!!). Tough love for Achy-Lee.

Another member of the team then took over, booking me on for an operation on Saturday 19th June with an overnight stay. After that I'll be on crutches for two weeks - the first week at home with my foot up - and being quite immobile during this time. It's going to drive me nuts. Then I'll be back in this "cam boot" for 4 weeks...the re-hab is going to take a while. All up Mark said three months off running, assuming all goes well. Fingers crossed that it does...

The actual surgery involves repairing a small tear in the Achilles tendon, plus some general ‘clean up’ in and around the area. It sound much like what you’d do during a good afternoon’s work in the backyard!!!

This is a bit of an impact on plans for the year, of course. But once you add a little perspective then it's not so bad, and could be far worse. There's lots of other things - and people - I can direct attention to in the meantime, and to broaden my horizons a little. A good mate sent me some good quotes I'll finish this off with.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. ~Frank A. Clark

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey. ~Kenji Miyazawa

Adversity enhances this tale we call life. ~Terri Guillemets

Problems are the price you pay for progress. ~Branch Rickey

No comments:

Post a Comment