Friday, January 15, 2010

Tasmanian Hangover

The new year period is often a time of hangovers...some that seem to last for days. I've felt just like that this week after getting home from Tasmania, except my hangover is not an alcohol fueled one...I'm just exhausted!!! But the good news is that today, Friday, I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and my legs are feeling less like concrete blocks. Thank god for that...

But the thing is that I wouldn't have changed anything - it was a great getaway, and the running trails and tours were fantastic. It's opened my eyes to real trail running and how enjoyable it is - it's much like my triathlon friends who found their salvation in mountain biking; for me it's trail running.

Unfortunately there's very few trail running races around (if any?), with the ones that do exist tending to be ultra marathon events...albeit along some amazing routes. I'd love to see some get established, and have even put forward some ideas and concepts to a couple of event organisers. We'll see what comes of that - I think there's some great potential for these races to be really popular, and around Melbourne there's some great venues to hold them. In the meantime, I'll be making a more regular bee-line into the nearby ranges for training runs, starting tomorrow.

So running this week has been abysmal. In fact anything physical has been dismal...on Monday morning I nearnly drowned at swimming. But on a positive note last week was the most running I've EVER done in a week - 155km - and I knew I'd be tired. Just not this bad. Now things are looking up a bit...and I'm looking forward to having some spring back in my stride again.

During this week I wrote a article about the Tas running tour and submitted it to Run For Your Life magazine, who are keen to publish it complete with some photos and stuff. So that will be exciting to be up in lights a bit. The YouTube videos have had quite a few people watching them and one friend even suggested to produce a running calendar from the best photos throughout the year - a great idea - so stand-by for more pictures coming up!!!

I'd love to get some more writing opportunities ahead - I'm still working on a 'style' which strikes the kind of balance I'm aiming for, which is hard to identify. In meantime I think mum has bookmarked this blog, so there's one reader, hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment