Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Falls Creek Training Camp - Day 3

Not to complain given what's happening elsewhere in the country, but it was wet here in Falls Creek today. It rained overnight and was still drizzling this morning as we rose to head down the hill to Mt Beauty for another swim. It's not particularly heavy rain, but wet nonetheless and lifts the humidity close to 100% most of the time, but since the air temp is only about 15 degrees it's actually quite comfortable just wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Three more people arrived late last night - Cam, and then Bev & Vicki - who I've known well for a number of years so it was good to see them this morning...after they had a sleep-in!!! Nick arrived later bringing our total numbers to 15 - a good size group.

We started with another pool session, and speaking for myself, I swam like a brick - my swimming is nothing like when I was racing tris. Oh well, if it means I'm running well then I don't care!!! The session was a bit shorter (3.5km) than yesterday (4km+) and we hit the supermarket and coffee shop before driving back up, where it was still wet.

The wet weather kept us indoors eating, talking, watching TV, eating, reading and some more eating!! The afternoon held in store a bike and run session and we kept a close eye on the rain radar to pick gaps to head out for these sessions...but the intevitable happened and we all got wet at some stage...

We split into two groups - short course and long course athletes - for slightly different sessions. Cam & Gabriel took the bike sessions and I took the runs. First up I had Tony & Jacob for a short but tough session of 10 x (1min Hard / 1min Float) back-and-forth along the dam wall. Tony felt a bit off but I rode alongside Jacob and he did a good session - he's only 15 and here from Sth Aust, and fitting in well. The long course athletes did a bike session first...and got very wet except for Liz & Lisa who did an indoor bike session, in front of the TV, but I think their sweat equalled the rain the others caught!!

Then they switched modes and I took the long course guys for a run along the Great Alpine Road. I joined in this time as I got us all to do a 25min tempo session...my first bit of hard running since my achilles surgery...and geez it felt good!!! However we did get very wet.

Perhaps the best thing about the lodge we're in is the drying room, aptly named, and is generating a bit of a stink with all the wet and sweaty clothes in it!! But it does a fantastic job, drying shoes and things overnight - I've got a bit of stuff in there tonight. the forecast is for more rain tomorrow, but we're planning a trail run in the morning, hopefully to get up Mt McKay...I'll post photos tomorrow!!!

 A group shot before swimming this morning.
 The cyclists heading out for a ride - it was raining...
 Some of the snow vehicles up here - these are like little busses.
 Brad massaging Luke...and he seems to be enjoying it!!
 Liz and Lisa doing an indoor session - sweat fest!!
 A nice shot down the valley from the dam wall, with wispy clouds in the distance.
 The second run group, very wet and about to start our main session.
Off we go into the rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment