Friday, December 3, 2010

Movember

Recently I subjected myself to Movember, where during the month of November blokes grow a moustache and get sponsored in support of the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and BeyondBlue, two causes with a particular focus on the welfare of men.

During the month I took some photos to accompany an email message to various friends, partly to amuse(??) them and partly to request donations...which they responded amazingly!! By the end of the month $780 of donations had been raised from just my mo. Thanks very much to those people.

So this post is a little catalogue of those email messages plus the photos that went with them. If you don't like seeing a dodgy man with a mo turn away now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Campbell Maffett [mailto:cmaffett@bigpond.com]
Sent: Monday, 8 November 2010 8:54 PM
Subject: Oh no...Movember

This is a scary and frightening story. I'm turning into a 70's cricketer...a sugar daddy...a po*n star...a dag...a Magnum PI...or any of a number of other caricatures. See I'm doing Movember, despite my better judgement and previous amusement at those folks who think a bit of upper lip hair is a great way to change the world. Because actually it is, in the name of men's health...not the magazine but the issue of men's health...in the name of Beyond Blue and the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.

It was a moment of weakness - and discussion around my brother's new "flavour saver" - that lead me to commence the fine art of manicuring my face, being careful in the first few days to mark out the desired shape (think Chopper Read style, but me with ears), and watching the strange looks of friends and colleagues who were wondering what was happening on my top lip. But a week into the process and there is now something clearly going on and my fair whiskers are clear to see...not to mention the annoyance of feeling part primitive animal...

But despite my somewhat non-hirsute genes, I've now got more hair on my lip than on top of my head...and there's still 3 weeks of growing to go. I don't know why people do this voluntarily, but perhaps I'll grow fond of it, give my mo a name and keep it...but right now I'm thinking not...although a couple of people think it actually suits me. Maybe I do have a movie career ahead of me...

Nonetheless, I'm doing this in the name of charity and this message is to ask you to vote with your donation about whether I should keep this thing...and maybe suggest a style and/or name for it. So if you like it...donate. And if you don't like it...donate more. I can't offer you any prize other than maybe to grant me the pleasure of cutting this growth off on 1st December...or maybe not.

Also, if you can think of any practical use for a mo please let me know. So far it has proved useful for scratching my hand...by simply rubbing my top lip. I'm yet to catch a cold and see if it catches the snot from a runny nose, but it certainly feels weird when swimming.

I'm not going to post a picture of my mo just yet, only an artists impression so you get the idea of what I'm doing (except my mo isn't black like that). If you really want to see it, then track me down...

BTW...here's a link to make a donation via. http://au.movember.com/mospace/1136826/  Thanks.

Campbell "Chop Chop" Maffett


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Campbell Maffett [mailto:cmaffett@bigpond.com]
Sent: Monday, 15 November 2010 9:24 PM
Subject: RE: Oh no...Movember...update

Hi again,

Well it’s half way through Movember and I’m coming to grips with this increasingly bushy thing on not just my top lip, but down the side of my mouth in a scary way. There’s no mistake it’s a moustache now and has drawn a variety of responses from “That’s the ugliest thing I’ve seen…do we have to put up with that for the whole month??” through to “It actually kind of suits you.”

As for my opinion…I’m still not so keen on it and still feel that I just need a good shave…especially as we headed out the door to a wedding last Friday night. (Sorry for looking like that, Rose & Jeff!!) But I’m going to stick it out for the whole month…if only because I owe it to the kind and generous folks who’ve donated $320 to the cause (Andrew, Mark C, Gretch, Kylie, Mark H, Rhiannon, Peter & David). Thank-you very much.

But rather than listen to me going on about how instead of scratching my chin I now “stroke my mo”, or how breakfast gets caught in it, or the challenge of shaving without cutting part of it off…I’ve attached a photo… OMG!!

Regards,
Campbell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Campbell Maffett [mailto:cmaffett@bigpond.com]
Sent: Thursday, 25 November 2010 9:11 PM
Subject: FW: Oh no...Movember...update 2

Hi again,

It’s the 25th November as I write this…and can I say that I’m counting down the days to shaving off the mo. The novelty has passed, but the reactions of people still come…which are amusing!! I annoy myself because I keep catching myself sucking on the straggly hairs, blowing air through it, licking it, stroking it and more…and I just want my top lip and jaw back.

Nonetheless, it has served the purpose of raising funds from some very generous donors, with the total up to $585, so thank-you very much. New donors this week are Kylie, Jeff, Andrea, Pani, Gail, Elizabeth, Ben, Wayne, Barry, Shaun, Paul, Megan and Rosie.

I was hoping to get some props for this week’s photo, something like firearms like Chopper Read would use, but didn’t even rustle up a water pistol. However I did get the city back-drop from my roof terrace as I do my best Chopper impersonation. Next Wednesday 1st December it’s coming off…which will make for some more interesting photos!!

Regards,
Campbell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Campbell Maffett [mailto:cmaffett@bigpond.com]
Sent: Thursday, 2 December 2010 8:47 PM
Subject: RE: Oh no...Movember...mo-mo is go-go-gone!!!

Hi again,

Hooray!! December has started and summer is here...but the best part is that all the awful mo's around town are coming off, not the least of which is (was) mine. Hallelujah!!!

The mo-go day approached with excitement matching christmas day, and despite my initial intention to hold out until 1st December, in the spirit of the event, I was seriously tempted to sneakily shave it off the night before, on 30th Movember. But some serious talking to from friends put me on a guilt-trip over taking that action, so I stayed the course through until 1st December, which was last night as I write this.

Befitting the whole month, I built up the mo-go shaving event into something way beyond what is actually was - simply a hair cut - for which I used some props and had an official photographer for the first time (thanks Ms. A). There were pre-mo-go photos, mid-mo-go photos and finally, a mo-gone photo...it feels soooo good to be rid of it.

By the end of the month I was amazing and humbled that a total of $780 was donated by various friends for the cause. All for growing a mo. I wonder how much I'd raise if I grew hair (back) on my head...if only that were possible, alas...

Generous donors over the past week included Tony, Ben, Rose, Nuvit, Mark & Danni, who along with previous donors are greatly appreciated by the Prostate Cancer Foundation, and Beyond Blue. And you also made it worthwhile for me to go through with this. Thank-you.

So that's it for Movember. I don't think I'll do it again, so save these photos (attached) to remind yourself how beautiful / dodgy / rough / rugged / dangerous / lovable / ugly / I can look with a mo...

Regards,
Campbell





No comments:

Post a Comment