Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Free to fly (achilles update)


"I don't need to see you again."

During my life I've learned to cope with rejection quite well, perhaps having plenty of experience helps...  Anyway, this time was different because it wasn't rejection at all. It was a mark of success and a milestone to hear those words uttered by my doctor at the end of my appointment today, indicating that my achilles has progressed really well and I'm, well, "...free to fly" (my words!!).

It's been 6 weeks since I saw Karen, and have been diligently following the running program that began back in September with 2 min walk, 30 sec run for 20min, up to doing 60 mins of continual running this week, albeit only 4 times a week. The achilles has been fantastic. In fact, the achilles has been the least of my concerns, which have focused on my weak calf and on-going peroneal tendon soreness...which was the result of the weak calf.

My weak calf has been improving steadily through gym work, drills, exercises, massage and more. Still a little way behind the right calf but improving, especially compared to the withered size it was after getting out of the CAM boot.

The peroneal tendon soreness, however, has been ongoing and is annoying. The thoughts about it have ranged from just tightness in the attached muscle, to nerve issue and otherwise. However today Karen accurately described it as some inflammation around the tendon, not serious but something we need to get on top of - hopefully we can as my dream is to be able to someday wake up without any soreness ANYWHERE!!! I'm hoping this is not too far away.

So to address that she's given me prescription for Solone which is full-on steroid...and also an anti-inflammation drug. She mentioned it may have some side effects, including hyper activity...so if you see me bouncing around over the next week, that's why!!!

Anyway, I hope this knocks that little problem on the head but in the meantime I'll continue along as I am so that by February my fitness might be at a point to start looking at some races, which will be really exciting. It's been a long road but the bumps haven't been anywhere near as bad as they might have been...and I'm certainly not complaining since I can see light ahead whereas many other people will never participate in their chosen activity again.

Did I mention that I'm really loving just being able to run again??

1 comment:

  1. No soreness anywhere? Is there a runner alive who has experienced such a thing? :)

    ReplyDelete