Sunday, May 20, 2012

Great Ocean Rd marathon Moose Mug

The Great Ocean Rd (GOR) marathon has been a favourite race of mine since it began in 2005. Back then I thought the promise of running from Lorne to Apollo Bay (45km) on traffic free roads was too good an opportunity to miss, and thought it might be a one-off so I entered and ran it. It was on again the next year, so I went back, and again, and again, racking up four finishes in a row and thoughts of being the first GOR marathon Spartan (10 finishes), however injuries over the last 3 years put a halt to those and any marathons meaning my last (road) marathon was 4 years ago in this same race. There’s been a LOT of water under the bridge in that time...

Running had been going well and so with a little nervousness I put in my entry a little while ago, and so it was a small victory to get to race week still in one piece and actually able to run a marathon again. But this was not a goal event of any sorts, and in fact concluded a (new) biggest week of running ever, clocking 100km from Mon-Thur, rest Fri, 14km on Sat and a likely 47km on Sunday (45km race + warm-up), bringing it to 161km. My legs were pretty dead & flat, but I was looking forward to a good training run – my plan was to approach it in 3 x 15km segments, starting at 4 min/km, then 15km at 3:50 min/km, then 15km at 3:40 (or under) min/km. This would have been a great hit-out pre-Gold Coast marathon in 6 weeks time if I pulled it off.

Another small goal for the event originated from the US Runner’s World forum, and a marathon discussion thread that included discussion of the “Moose Mug”, which one fellow creates for anyone who achieves the goal of a marathon in less than 2hrs + age (2:20 + age for women). It’s a unique and challenging goal, which I thought I could do but hadn’t run a marathon since learning about it, so in the back of my mind was qualifying for own Moose Mug in the race, based on the time split at the marathon distance point. I’d need to run it in under 2:42hr.

Since the last time I ran numbers in the weekend of events – 6km & 14km on Sat, half & full marathon on Sun – had grown from 1200 to over 4000 this year, with over 900 in the marathon alone. Also lining up this year in the marathon was good friend and great athlete, Kelly Jarrett, who was running to win the women’s race following a win in the half marathon last year. It was great being able to stay with Kel, her sister and several others, and catch-up on life & times, and some good running talk!! Our plan was to run together for 15km, before I picked up my plan according to plan.

Race morning dawned almost perfect – a far cry from the prevailing head winds I’d been used to in previous years – albeit a bit cold, meaning I opted for a t-shirt to run in. There was a nice atmosphere at the start as we mingled, and had a quick read of the race program which listed some of the key contenders...including one female who’d beaten Kelly by 7 mins in Melb marathon last year, Kirsten Molloy. Oh dear!! This meant it would be a tough race for Kel.

On the men’s side there were the customary group of Kenyans who are bought over each year to run, 3 this year, plus 2 other good runners – one from Geelong, Rowan Walker, who consistently runs 2:20 marathons, and Alex Matthews who I know through the 6ft Track race, and a 2:28 runner. So I quickly put a top-5 finish out of my mind, not that placing was a goal but after successive placings of 7th, 2nd, 5th and 8th, I had a bit of pride at stake.

The gun went and quickly the Kenyans shot off into the lead very quickly, easily putting distance into everyone, with Rowan and Alex forming a pair in pursuit, then a mix of 5-6 runners ahead of Kelly and me, including Kirsten. The beauty of GPS watches these days is that they provide feedback on distance and pace, so Kel and I paid close attention to slowing our pace from the start down towards the target 4 min/km. In the first km Kel commented how easy it felt running at 3:50 pace, and we reflected with amusement on that post race after what happened later in the race...

Anyway, Kirsten stayed about 30-45sec ahead of us, within sight – and reach – but requiring us to run a little faster than planned, averaging 3:54 for the first 15km with us in 11th and 12th place but 5 runners within about 75 sec in front of us. As planned, I picked up my pace at 15km and pulled closer the folks in front of me, passing Kirsten and another guy in about 2km, then another a further km on putting me in 8th place with two guys a little way ahead. Then at about the 20km I was surprised to see Alex jump out of porta-loo and join those two guys just ahead, meaning 5th to 7th were just 60-80m ahead.

The GOR marathon course is not easy, with about 500m of ascent, with the two hardest hills coming right after half way. It was here I caught one of the guys, then came up on Alex and we had a little chat during which he explained that his recent doctor’s rounds included seeing a lot of children with all range of sickness, which he’d caught and was coughing up phlegm, not feeling very good and planning to pull out. As we chatted we passed another guy putting us into 5th and 6th place, and as he pulled over at 25km mark I was into 5th place!! He ended up jogging the remainder, since that was the quickest way to get to finish!!

This middle 15km was a tough section due to these two hills, but my avg pace was surprisingly good at around 3:46 min/km, a little faster than planned but still feeling quite strong. The last 15km would be hardest, not just because it is the last 15km but also because of my plan to pick up the pace further. Passing 30km I eased up the pace over the last of the small hills that gave way to small rollers, then mostly flat, for the remainder of the course.

I was clinging to 3:40 pace but it wasn’t easy, with some twangs of tightness (or cramps?) in my right glute. Also, the continuous camber of the course was starting to be noticeable in my right ankle...very minor, but noticeable. I was working hard to maintain pace, by now passing walkers in the half marathon, but it slipped back to 3:41 at about 37km mark, and started to count down the distance and estimated time to the finish. Between 37-40km I really started to struggle, and in stopping for a drink at 40km the avg pace slipped further to 3:43 and I was hurting. But there was only 5km left and a good look behind didn’t show anyone behind.

It was also at this time a couple of people called out that I was in 4th place, which I thought meant they’d missed someone, and kept on running anyway. By the marathon timing mat I was in survival mode, with avg pace now at 3:46 although my time split over the mat was 2:38:45hr (although I think it was 500m short/soon), which was pleasing and even allowing another 500m would give me about 2:40:35hr...a Moose Mug!!! This time split was about an equal second best on the course.

The last 2.9km was a real struggle. I was hurting, my glutes were tight – perhaps from the exercises I did on Friday? – and it was just hard work. Although I was placed well, I barely felt like I was going any faster than the half marathoners I kept passing, just holding 4 min/km...and felt a LOT harder than the ease of this pace at the start!!

The finish chute in Apollo Bay is great, lined by literally thousands of people, some of whom I knew, all giving great cheers. Despite my discomfort, I was really happy and pleased, and very surprised to be called over in 4th place in 2:50:28hr, with a few fist pumps in the air. But I couldn’t stop soon enough, and was a little delirious for 5min or more...it really hurts pushing yourself to your limits!! Although I missed part of the target pace, overall it was quite a pleasing run on tired legs. As it turned out, one of the Kenyans pulled out, and Rowan Walker split the remaining two Kenyans coming in 2nd.

I collected myself and waited for Kelly to finish, with the announcer calling her in first place...a great result for her, and really nice to play a small part in her day. Well done, Kel. Post marathon is always a bit stiff and tired, but to my surprise I’m not really feeling all that stiff right now, considering, and best of all no sore spots!! From here there is an easy few days ahead before a few final, key sessions over the last 6 weeks before Gold Coast marathon...and not to mention a baby arriving sometime during that period, too!! Exciting times ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment