Friday, February 17, 2012

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

In sports there's a few privileged things that not many people get to experience. Winning a race is one of them. Big or small, important or trivial, being first over the line is something special like a gift that should never be taken for granted. While I've taken a few category places, I've rarely won the whole damn thing...and certainly not for a long time. That was until Wednesday. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

Wednesday was race 2 of the 3-race Super Sunset Series of fun runs around Melbourne on Wednesday evenings, with options of 4 / 8km. They're pretty well organised, and provide a good opportunity for a mid-week hit-out in race conditions where the stakes are not high and everyone who can run is welcome. Also, being in February the weather can be hot, even at the start time around 7pm - on Wednesday it was still > 32 degrees according to the BOM, and very dry.

In race 1 held at the Zoo 2 weeks earlier we had a small but strong Love th Run contingent lining up the two races, with the short-course runners coming home with 2nd apiece - Carl & Bree - and me bagging 3rd in the longer race. Heading into the second race we were preparing to our strategy to battle our foes on the dusty track of the tan, including the infamous Anderson St hill plus a little out-and-back section to round up the distance to 4km per lap - spot on accurate according to my watch.

Pre-race it was hot, dry and dusty, but with smaller overall numbers than the zoo, perhaps because it was hot, and quite a hard location to get to at that time of day. Nonetheless, there were races to be run and it was the 4km runners who started first at 6:50pm. Monty and I did a warm-up and waited for the runners at the out-and-back point, giving Carl a good cheer as he passed first, leading the 4km event by a clear margin. A little later on came Bree, also leading the women's race...very exciting for someone who's only been running for a short time.

Carl & Bree went on to win both the men's and women's events, picking up a $100 voucher to a running shop for their efforts...and running well to get their victories. It was really exciting but put pressure on me to follow-up in the 8km race...nothing like expectations!!! To my pleasant surprise I lined up to find that neither 1st or 2nd from race 1 were there...could it possible to prevail this time?? Trying to read running ability on the start line is hard, and as we lined up to start at 7:15pm my heart was racing and my mouth was already dry.

The race start only made my dry mouth worse, and with 2km until the first aid station I'd just need to suck it up...like you do with a desert dry mouth!! Anyway, off we ran and I quickly found myself in the lead but with some guy on my shoulder, a quick glance barely revealing anything about him. We made the turn up Anderson St hill at about 750m and pretty quickly he dropped off and I was on my own, following behind the lead cyclists who were clearing the way amongst the various walkers and runners out that evening. I was feeling OK, to my surprise, having barely recovered from the previous weekend's running...in fact, even that morning my legs felt more like concrete blocks than running legs.

A quick drink to wet my mouth at 2km was welcome relief, then on around the very familiar tan track, which I haven't done a race, time-trial or even hard training session around for many months - it was good to back running hard around there. The out-and-back part was in front of the Myer Music Bowl which was hosting a free, summer concert that night and so had lots of people walking to the entrance with picnic bags and rugs in hand - fortunately they were considerate and the path was relatively clear to run on.

Coming around to finish the first lap I got a wind up from friend and MC Stef, and then Bree, Tim, Danni, Monty and Carl cheering as I ran past and onto the second lap...getting quite hot by then, and a little tired. First lap time was 13:33min. Second time up Anderson St was a lot slower as the spring in my stride was dwindling, but with a quick look back just over the top I couldn't see anyone behind me so felt I was well in the clear. I got a good look at the out-and-back section, which confirmed a comfortable lead.

Although my pace had slowed, I was running OK especially off the back of a big training miles and negligible fast running. But it was still hard work, and I was glad it was only 8km.

Finshing the 2nd lap I veered off the course and up the finish chute, breaking a tape to claim the win with a subtle little fist pump of satisfaction and joy, in finish time of 27:40min (second lap of 14:07min). Dry and parched, a drink of water was most welcome and the chance to catch my breath - you never quite realise how out of breath you are until you stop. Stef did a quick interview, which was fun, and then off I wandered to find the other guys to share the joy of our racing day with a great set of results. This will be hard to top in race 3!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment