Sunday, June 26, 2011

Moving out!!

I’m writing this surrounded by packing boxes which collectively contain my life and possessions, but at the moment look more like a disorganised warehouse waiting for someone to sweep through and bring some order to the chaos. The thing is, however, the chaos is only going to get worse before it gets better with the house move booked in for this Friday...and I just can’t wait until it’s over. Yes, I’m moving out.

I guess the seeds for this move were planted way back when I met Ms A who is now my fiancé and the motivation for digging up stumps and crossing the river, and the town, to shack up together in our own place. With our wedding only 5 weeks later, it’s a big leap of faith from both of us to sell our houses and buy one together, but it feels right and certainly I have had no second thoughts.

The process of selling houses is worthy of a whole series of posts and stories, including tales of real estate agents, cleaning and tidying, inspections, conveyancers, anxiety and worry, the auction and more. It’s a drawn out process and you sometimes wonder if the agents actually add much value, but it is a necessary evil associated with buying and selling houses. Then once you add in the settlement period it’s almost a 5 month process where perhaps the worst part is the last bit, of actually moving, which I’ve got ahead this Friday...

Fortunately I’ve been able to look forward to the good things that will come from the move, mainly being in the same house with Ms A and secondary being the new suburb and area we’re moving to – my favourite parkland and trails in all of Melbourne are just a short run away. It’s lucky these positives are so strong since there is a lot of regret associated in moving away from my current location, top of list is actually the location which is only just a few minutes from literally everything I do on a day-to-day basis...except visiting Ms A. I love that I can currently drop into home between working, running, coaching, swimming, etc, rather than having to pack bags for the whole day.

Moving will have a huge impact on my routine, not the least of which is that I’m stopping swimming, which for me is not so much about the actual swimming but the people at swimming who I will miss a lot. Top of the list is the coach, Buddy, who has been a rock of stability, wisdom, advice and so much more for over 24 years – more than half my life. Outside of family he has had the biggest influence on my life of anyone in the whole world, and the things I’ve learned from him will stay with me forever and keep on prompting me to be a good/ better person...and husband come that day in August!!!

But despite the upheaval in routine, I know I’ll get used to it as it becomes a “new normal” and the good things about the move and the fantastic house we’re moving into together – exciting times ahead. However right now I’m constantly reminded of what is going to happen this week – moving – which has as much appeal as having a tooth pulled out. Just gotta keep the end in sight...

No comments:

Post a Comment