Saturday, February 20, 2010

Six Foot Monster - update 3

Well in 3 weeks time the race will be over; run and won, with a lot of stiff, tired and sore bodies around. I'm really looking forward to it, even more after bumping into a friend during the week who did it some years ago, and loved it. It's also a double-edged sword talking to previous finishers since they all tell the same experience of how hard it is...I'm not sure if it's possible to be adequatealy prepared for it...

Anyway, today was another epic long run in the Dandenongs - 42km, 3:30hr and over 2000m of ascent. I've starting to fear these runs. They're so long and the hills are so goddam steep, and for the last 2 weeks I've been up there after good and hard training weeks leaving me a bit flat...which makes the run drag on a little

Today was especially so - I felt like lying down for a sleep each time we stopped for drink!! Fortunately today I had Monty & Rhiannon for company (they did about 25km) which was good - we were all feeling a bit worn-out. But sometimes you just need to "tick" the session off as complete...whatever drama that involves.

So this might be the last Dandenongs run pre-Six Foot - it will be mental and physical break before the races in March. I'll miss getting out of the city for a run, and especially the joy of stopping for a chocolate Big-M on the trip home...I love milk, especially when it's in the form of a milkshake!!!!

Being the last run up I took my camera today to take just a few pictures of the route we ran - there's so many more sights, sounds and smells up there to make it so nice to run in. I hope you enjoy these ones...

An early start for me...and not really very excited about the run ahead. Can you tell??

Bellview Tce - one of the main routes up One Treee Hill. Doesn't look steep. It is.

 A detour off Bellview Tce - this is really pretty track, and it's downhill!!

View Trk is the steepest goddam track I've been up. Apparently there is a steeper one - I'll save that for my next lifetime!!

One Tree Hill is just up that track, just off Hill St. Creative street name for these parts.

One Tree Hill water tap in the middle of a picnic ground. What you can't see is the swarm of wasps that lives on the water tap!!

Heading down Mystic Track. This tree was blocking the road last weekend, but has been cut up since then.

The infamous Chandlers Track. It looks innocent from here...but it isn't. It's a *&%$# of a hill.

Heading up from Puffing Billy; just one of the steep roads/tracks around these parts.

A beautiful strech of Coles Ridge Rd through Sherbrooke Forest Park.

Possibly the best named track in the world!!! A nice track, but does get steep.

A little further up Hillclimb Track.

Even further up Hillclimb Track. See, it does get steep!!

Heading along Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd just near Ferny Creek.

Just near the top of One Tree Hill, to remind us where we are!!

Today's run...hard work and great to get it done by lunch-time on Saturday.

Rhiannon, me and Monty post-run. It was sunny and warm day. A good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment