Saturday, February 13, 2010

Six Foot Monster - update 2

There’s an old saying that often does the sporting rounds that goes “Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”. Well I’m not sure that it’s true…see, I’ve done more “near death” training sessions than I can count and yet I sure don’t look like Superman.

But maybe if it was talking about inner strength then perhaps it has done me some good, and if so, then this morning’s run just added a new layer to my “inner strength” muscles.

Today I achieved a little training goal – 40km running, 2km ascent (actually about 2.3km ascent) – all in the same run (3:24hr). And my legs are calling for mercy now!!!

Since the last Six Foot Monster update things have gone well. Last weekend I did the run leg in a triathlon team in Geelong, over 21.1km (1/2 marathon). I ran 74:33min which I was quite pleased with given the tricky nature of the course…and our team came 2nd overall, which was a great result.

So after one week’s absence I headed back out to the Dandenongs motivate for the 40k – 2k challenge, knowing it would take a lot of big hills (of course!!!). I planned to do 2 laps of one particular loop (Bellview Tce & Chandlers Trk), then out-and-back up Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd, in doing so skipping my favourite Belgrave / Ferny Ck loop in pursuit of that 2km ascent goal. It was cool but muggy morning with high humidity and mist / fog on top of the hill.

The tracks around One Tree Hill are steep, and some of them are even STEEPER. My god, if this isn’t good training for Six Foot Track (SFT) marathon then I don’t know what is!!!

The first lap went well, feeling good and running strongly...although perhaps too strongly, particularly on the way down to the car park again to complete the first 15.3km loop, because starting the second lap my legs starting complaining. This was hard and there’s no easy way. But I’m getting familiar with the terrain and hill gradients so at least that helps here...but I’ll be running “blind” in the SFT marathon.

Bellview Tce is hard going, plus on each lap I headed out down Hansens Trk (under the newly fallen tree) and to the base of Chandlers Trk. In the last update I ranked Chandlers Trk in the top 3 hardest tracks on the hill...and it still is. Only 1km of serious uphill track, but it ascends about 170m in that distance...which includes some “flatter” sections. It’s got 3 punches to it; the first drag which is moderately steep and sucks you in that it’s really not too hard. But around the corner it kicks up really steeply, flattens a little, then kicks up again – these parts must be up near 25% gradient (i.e. 1m up for each 4m along). So hard to just run up, let alone when your legs are tired. Chandlers Trk and I have a love-hate relationship...

Today I was also chased by a couple of wasps up the hills...they looked about the size of walnut (actual size might have been smaller!!)...and chased me like goddam magpies do during Spring. No stings, fortunately.

Anyway, after these 2 laps I headed up the road this time – blissfully less-steep – despite the protests of my hammered legs. But my limbs and brain pulled together as a team and we made it back – an epic run that I’m not keen to repeat any time soon...but proabably will.

It takes a run like today to shake out any complacency that creeps in about thinking that I’m getting fit for the SFT. There’s a long way to go, and it will be a very hard race.

Nonetheless, I’m really looking forward to it, especially with the news I got during the week which will make it a very special weekend. In the meantime...keep on training!!

"You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."
Percy Cerutty

No comments:

Post a Comment