Saturday, June 9, 2012

Boring Running

I've recently started writing some aritcles for New Breed Running (http://www.newbreedrunning.com.au/) ...here is another...

While I was running the other day, as usual I was in a world of my own thoughts covering everything from world peace to what we were having for dinner that night. It's one of the wonderful things about the simplicity of running, that you can drift off in a world of your own as your feet pound the ground, using it for the space it offers your mind to wander.

As I thought a little more, it occurred that if it wasn't for my mind wandering like it was then I would actually be quite bored, like those long car trips as a kid when all you want to know is "are we there yet, are there yet?". For running on its own can be a bit dull if you let it be, which is a common complaint from people who don't "get it" about the beauty of the sport. I used to always wonder why it is they couldn't see running the way I do, for the great feeling it gives during and after, the freedom to explore, and the health and fitness benefits.

Now I know why!!

Of course, my thinking didn't stop there because I thought even more about why boring running can be good, and the list was endless. It can be boring because you are fit and are gliding over the ground with ease, or because you're not injured and being tormented by the fear of having to stop, or simply because you're contented with the general state of things in your life. I find that being bored is most common when there is no dominant concern on your mind…and in running, that is a good thing because it allows you think and ponder freely. And that is where the purity and simplicity of running exists.

Running can also be boring when training is going well, and you're "ticking over" the miles day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out. The repetition of training can be boring, but when you think that an alternative may be injury, sickness or otherwise then I'd that monotony of training any day! In this case, boring running is a great sign…but might also be a little indicator that maybe you need to mix things up a little. But not too much or too suddenly.

My relaxed, easy (and boring) run came to an end and yet I wasn't really quite ready to stop since I had so much more to think about. Perhaps I should write a few notes and re-read them before my next run so I could pick up from where I'd left off? I didn't do that because I know from other times that my next run will have it's own world of thoughts to pass those miles that might otherwise be potentially boring. Yes, boring running is OK with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment