Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Run for the Kids - chasing my number

Run for the Kids (R4K) was established 6 years ago as somewhat of an extension to the annual Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday appeal that has raised millions and millions of dollars over many decades. A key feature of the fun run was the high proportion of the entry fee that went directly to the charity, this year being $29 of the $50 entry, thereby ensuring a large donation to the hospital each year. Right from the outset it was popular event, with two race distances attracting 30,000+ entrants - and some quality athletes - with part of the appeal being a course that takes in the Citylink Domain tunnel and Bolte Bridge, a toll road that usually never sees a footprint, let along from runners!!

During the first 6 years of the event I hadn't actually done the race, initially due to a clash with Ironman Australia and last year due to injury. This year was also going to be a miss due to its proximity after the 6ft Track Marathon...until that race was cancelled and I had a big hole in my race calendar. R4K popped up as a great option, until I learned that it was sold out...D'oh!! But a couple of emails and a big favour later I had an entry form being sent to me, which I duly filled in and returned with my $50 fee. I was in the race, but imagine my surprise when my race pack arrived which included race number 23!!!

In a race this scale the low numbers are usually reserved for very good runners as it recognises their ability and identifies them as runners to watch. While I might be an OK runner, I'm not that good and especially not deserving of such a number for this race...I was part proud, and part embarrased, and very much self conscious.

However in saying that this also gave me a goal, to beat my race number as a finish placing, which recent history told me I would need to run sub-50min for the 14.38km course (not sure why they don't round the distance a little??) to be close. I've run that fast before, including in the Aths Vic 15km race last year, but that was flat (and windy) whereas this was a very honest course with three distinct hills - coming out of the tunnel, going over the bridge and then the Collins St overpass. Plus, my running form / speed is still picking up after the 6ft Track campaign. Also, I had a cold all week which had left me worn-out and worried about how much energy I would have to race.

Anyway, race day came around and for the first time in 8 days I actually felt close to better, combined with the boost from a caffeine pill, and I lined up feeling like I might be able to put some effort into the race.

R4K is unique in a way that the only time you know who is racing is when you line up at the start, and in doing so I was agog at the quality of field for such a "fun run". In the men's field was a recent World Ch'ship marathon runner, reigning City to Surf winner, 2006 Comm Games marathoner plus a host of really good local runners - this was going to be a keenly competitive race, and my placing goal just went out the window. Interestingly, they all had race numbers much higher than mine!! We lined up nervously, as runners do, waiting for traffic all clear to start the race and set us off.

I don't recall if it was a gun or hooter, but we were away and I felt OK, with a bit of spring in my step...which is common in early race stages. But I actually did feel OK as we turned just after 1km to head down into the tunnel where it was very quiet and very still, not to mention smooth running as we headed down and down. But what goes down goes up as we then started running up and out of the tunnel, back into the real world atmosphere and the start of feeling that this race is going to require some effort!!!

Along the Southbank overpasses you can easily see Bolte Bridge where the road, and the race route was soon headed. Passing 5km in 16:48min, I was surprised to be running so fast but a little worried about holding onto the pace, especially since the climb up Bolte Bridge goes for over 1km and reaches 60m height - a fair climb in any situation. Fortunately the weather was superb with only a light breeze, clear day and nice temps but didn't stop me from slowing as I trudged up the climb, losing distance to some runners in front of me. We crested a bit before 8km, and then had a nice downhill stretch...I'm never sure if you make up the time going down that you lose on the way up. I generally think not.

Finally down the ramp we hit flat road again on Footscray Rd followed quickly by a turn into Docklands - the effort was really starting to accumulate, but the course was good and quite interesting as it wound it's way through various streets. Passing 10km in 34:09min (17:21min last 5km), I was still pleasantly surprised at my pace, starting to think that sub-50min was on the cards...but the race was far from over.

About 2km later was a nasty pinch as we climbed up and over the Collins St overpass over Southern Cross railway station...a nasty little hill that is cruelly timed to break your rhythm, and perhaps spirit. I was generally holding my placing around here but seeing the gap in front open up since the bridge crossing as I slowed...I just don't have the race fitness yet to push on as I would like to in the closing stages.

The last part of the course took us along the Crown Casio walkway, back over the river and finally rounding Flinders St station for the final run to the finish. Despite the effort I was closely checking my watch with rough calculations about the time remaining until 50min...I had to put faith in the course markers since the tunnel had ruined the accuracy of the GPS measurements.

The final run down St Kilda Rd was good with many people from the 5.2km event cheering, as well as other spectators and supporters, with the finish arch coming into view just around a final corner...a quick check confirmed that my goal time was safe, just as a spectator called myself and another guy just in front of me in 30th and 31st placing. The clock on the arch read 49:29min as I crossed the line. It's only when you finish you realise how hard you were running as I doubled over, hands on knees and with blurry eyes catching my breath...it was a hard effort.

My post-race assessment was quite positive, exceeding my expectations at this time and providing some optimism about the improvement I might still have ahead in the next 3 months before Gold Coast marathon. The race itself was really good to do, on a good course and in a competitive field...and for interest sake, the same time last year would have put me in about 20th place. Maybe next year I'll beat my race number!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment