Saturday, November 19, 2011

Return to the Dandenongs

It's been a while since I was last out running in the Dandenongs - back in March or April, I think - so it was great to get out there again today to put down the first few steps towards the 6ft Track marathon next March. I was after the hills, big hills, and these are some of the better ones in reasonable proximity to home. I have rule of training that you should never travel for more time to training than you are actually going to spend training...today ticked that box!!

I headed around a familiar old loop, plus a few extra bits, that takes in some of the best tracks in the area...just beautiful and spectacular forests and vegetation. The only problem today is that while it started very humid, the rain soon started and hung around although it didn't really make too much difference since the trees, ferns, tracks and more were already soaked - and muddy - with recent rains. So I got wet from the rain and general water and mud along the way. But I loved it.

Although my legs didn't feel great...which is perhaps more to do with being very out of shape for these hills / trails...I loved being up there. While wet, it wasn't cold, and hardly anyone else there. I'll be making routine tracks up there over summer...I want to achieve the goal of 40km+ and 2000m+ ascent in a single run. Today was 33km and 973m.

Here's a couple of pics of my muddy legs at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment