Tuesday, March 8, 2011

World Champion's dog day out...

Last October Mirinda Carfrae won the Hawaii Ironman World Championship, installing her as "top dog" on the women's side of things...along with fellow Aussie Chris McCormack, which was a proud day for Australian triathlon.

Anyway, Mirinda's next race after Kona was the NZ Ironman last Saturday, and so Phil from http://www.firstoffthebike.com/ sent me off with the task of reporting on the new World Champ's day at the office, since I was going to be there spectating. It turned out to be a wet, wet, wet day and following anyone was a hard task...but nonetheless I had some ideas for how I could come up with something for Phil.

As I headed around the bike course on my rental mountain bike cheering various friends, imagine my surprise as I came across bike #12, Mirinda's bike, beside the road with a flat tyre. Here was my scoop!!! I quickly out my camera and in true papparazi style snapped away, while having a chat with Mirnda while she waited for race tech support to help her get going...which took a good 10-15mins. She was super cool and friendly, and was a delight to chat to.

Anyway, I got the following photos of her dog day out...in the bike leg, at least, but recovered to run herself into 2nd place overall. Well done, Mirinda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment