Monday, November 8, 2010

Oh no...Movember!!

This is a scary and frightening story. I'm turning into a 70's cricketer... a sugar daddy... a po*n star... a dag... a Magnum PI... or any of a number of other caricatures. See I'm doing Movember, despite my better judgement and previous amusement at those folks who think a bit of upper lip hair is a great way to change the world. Because actually it is, in the name of men's health...not the magazine but the issue of men's health...in the name of Beyond Blue and the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.

It was a moment of weakness - and discussion around my brother's new "flavour saver" - that lead me to commence the fine art of manicuring my face, being careful in the first few days to mark out the desired shape (think Chopper Read style, but me with ears), and watching the strange looks of friends and colleagues who were wondering what was happening on my top lip. But a week into the process and there is now something clearly going on and my fair whiskers are clear to see...not to mention the annoyance of feeling part primitive animal...

But despite my somewhat non-hirsute genes, I've now got more hair on my lip than on top of my head...and there's still 3 weeks of growing to go. I don't know why people do this voluntarily, but perhaps I'll grow fond of it, give my mo a name and keep it...but right now I'm thinking not...although a couple of people think it actually suits me. Maybe I do have a movie career ahead of me...

Nonetheless, I'm doing this in the name of charity and this message is to ask you to vote with your donation about whether I should keep this thing...and maybe suggest a style and/or name for it. So if you like it...donate. And if you don't like it...donate more. I can't offer you any prize other than maybe to grant me the pleasure of cutting this growth off on 1st December...or maybe not.

Also, if you can think of any practical use for a mo please let me know. So far it has proved useful for scratching my hand...by simply rubbing my top lip. I'm yet to catch a cold and see if it catches the snot from a runny nose, but it certainly feels weird when swimming.

I'm not going to post a picture of my mo just yet, only an artists impression so you get the idea of what I'm doing (except my mo isn't black like that). If you really want to see it, then track me down...

BTW...here's a link to make a donation via. http://au.movember.com/mospace/1136826  Thanks.

Campbell "Chop Chop" Maffett

No comments:

Post a Comment