Friday, October 1, 2010

All systems go (achilles update)


It's been almost 2 weeks since I laced up my running shoes to go for a...walk-run...for the first time in many months. That day was full of anticipation and it coincided with a lot of people asking how it was going, to which I could give a meaningful and positive answer that I was about to start running!!

That first run was fantastic albeit it bloody cold on a windy Saturday afternoon where I was rather under-dressed and naively though that eight lots of 30 sec running would actually warm me up a little. It didn't. Nonetheless, the feeling of freedom of being out running was wonderful...and time really does fly when you're having fun since that run, and the subsequent runs, all pass in a flash.

This update is to explain just how it's all gone. In a word, good. In two words, really good!!

In the first week I did four "sessions" of 2 mins walk, 30 sec jog/run for 20 mins. This week it was 2 mins walk, 1 min run for 25 mins. Next week it is 1 min walk, 1 min run for 25-30 mins...and I can't wait because I think that will be long enough to actually do a full lap of the lake rather than just small portions!!!

On the non-running days I'm doing sessions walking up the Airlie St hill, which I fit in during lunch-time at work. 8 reps during the week and 10 reps on the weekends. This has been great for regaining function in my calf and ankle.

My achilles feels really good. I have no problems, stiffness, soreness or anything from it before, during or after. I actually feel like I'm running rather than shuffling, with a hint of the magical feeling of running lightly over the ground...like a gazelle!!! It's both a relief and joyous. I feel like it's all forward progress ahead, albeit at a slow and measured pace.

The only problem I am having is related to weakness in my left calf muscle. It's noticeably smaller than the right one, and consequently weaker. The consequence is that it overloads the peroneal tendon on the outside of my ankle, but that is improving as my calf gets stronger.

So it's all systems go. Just try and stop me when I really do get going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment