Saturday, June 26, 2010

Acky-Lee update - no complaints

It’s hard to think it was only 7 days ago that I was checking-in to hospital. Time has moved pretty slowly, and it seems like much more than a single week, but things have gone well…I think!! So far I haven’t fallen on my foot, slipped on it, bumped it, and managed to clean and feed myself adequately. In another 7 days I’ll be off the crutches and beginning some slow steps towards mobility – that will be a relief.

The day after the operation, Sunday, the foot hurt a bit but was a weird combination of the nerve block wearing off - which felt like pins ‘n needles - and awareness of the discomfort from the operation. Mostly it was a feeling is just not being able to relax my foot, and not being able to stretch, bend or move it in any way…although as I gained more feeling I could wiggle my toes. The weirdest thing was having a fully numb foot and not being to feel, let alone wiggle my toes – it was awful!!

I was sent home with some truly “hospital strength” pain killers called Endone, a whole packet, of which I only used 2 on Sunday night which leaves 18 of the little suckers to use at my leisure in the future!! The discomfort really wasn’t that bad.

I spent the first 3 nights with my parents in the country at Wonthaggi, which was a very good move. There was no temptation to be doing things, just to sit, sit and sit some more with my foot up. Moving on the crutches was awkward – they’re hard work – and as soon as I put my foot down I could feel the blood rush into it, which is just what we didn’t want and why keeping it elevate was so important. I have never been so immobile in my life as during those few days.

The upside of being immobile is being waited on hand and foot (pardon the pun) by my parents. From making cups of tea, to lunch and dinner and washing up, they did it all. I felt quite guilty just sitting around – it’s so not my style – but they were more than happy to do, and I owe them a huge thanks in return. We did go for a little drive on Tuesday just to get me out of the house, which was a nice break.

The best part of being there was just spending some time with mum & dad.

On Wednesday afternoon it was time to come back home to Melbourne, which involved coordination with Andrea who met us halfway to take over the care where mum & dad left off. Andrea took me to her house, fed me, taxied me home and made sure I was OK in my own house. She’s so nice to me!!

Then I was on my own, in my house. Steps to get inside, and more steps inside the house – I worked those out pretty quickly and quickly learned to plan ahead and take everything I need in a backpack during each trip up and down them!! But everything took longer. From getting dressed, using the bathroom to making a simple cup of tea…crutches are like a damn boat anchor. Not just awkward, but hard work to walk around on; it was an excursion to buy a newspaper each morning.

But the last you’ll hear from me is a complaint. In fact I’m fortunate in many ways. Fortunate to have the surgery done so soon, by such a good doctor. Fortunate to have great parents and girlfriend who care for me. Fortunate to have supportive friends. Fortunate that this is only temporary, and that I’m on the road to recovery and rehabilitation. I’m excited about the challenge ahead, towards the goal of running again. However I look forward to it, there’s lots to look forward to from where I am now, and the experience of it all makes me appreciate simple things – and great people – so much.

Just gotta keep on looking forwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment