Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Achilles update - milestone approaching!!

Back when I first saw the surgeon in early June he mentioned a recovery time of 12 weeks until I'd start running (or walking / running). He said it in a kind of flippant way, and could have simply been an arbitrary number he plucked out of the air, however it was backed up with a printed timeline of what to expect during recovery from the operation. It seems that what I had done was relatively common and rather than repeat himself to everyone like me who goes under his knife, he provides a written explanation, which perhaps explains the passing way he said 12 weeks.

Well, 12 weeks comes up on Saturday - it feels like 12 months - but I won't be heading out the door for a run...or even a walk/run. Probably not for another couple of weeks.

However, far from meaning that things have taken a wrong-turn, it's just that Achilles tendons take a long time to get better, especially when it plays such a crucial role in running. It'll be ready when it's ready and not before, and in the meantime I can do more and more things that are measurable steps towards being able to run.

Since the last update I've gradually been able to do more and more on the Achilles, as it progresses in being able to handle increased loading and activity. I've been 100% CAM boot-free for about 3.5 weeks, which was a great feeling being able to consign it to the back of the cupboard and get around on my own two feet. The main on-going things I'm aware of are the stiffness in the heel / ankle (more so in the morning) and the weakness of my calf / lower leg, but both of these are improving.

So while I can't run there's a lot of things I can do, and for most people the state of my Achilles at present wouldn't appear to be all that limiting. I'm swimming with concessions being little kicking and being careful not to push-off too hard with my left foot. I'm riding my commuter bike but not standing up on the pedals...although I think that will be soon. Walking is no problems, having done some quite reasonable walks (5-6km) on recent weekends, and I'm starting to do some uphill walking reps - not long but a great progression to actual running. Gym is all OK, and now doing some heel / calf raises which this week are off a step. Very weak calves...

The 12 week milestone will come and go with little fanfare, and little significance, but nonetheless has given me a point in time to work towards. The next BIG milestone will be when I actually do go for a walk/run...and that it goes OK. I'm still thinking how to mark the occasion...

No comments:

Post a Comment